Sunday, April 30, 2017

Pre-trip Planning: Day 13: Girdwood area

This is our last full day in Alaska.  Our flight does not leave Anchorage on Day 14 until after dinner, so we have a lot of hours on Day 14 as well;we could stay in Girdwood or just go back to Anchorage--it might come down to doing something that we filed away for "later".  There are a LOT of activities in the Girdwood area that I think my family would enjoy.  We probably won't have time for all of them, but I'm going to put them all here (and probably add to them) and it might help me get my priorities set.


  • Crow Creek--I mentioned this earlier, and this is where we'll probably mine for gold, if we haven't already.
  •  Alyeska Tram--If we can fit it in...this might be something we all enjoy
  • Alaska  Wildlife Conservation Center--Earnest really wants to see bears, and if we haven't seen them in the wild yet, this might be our last/only chance.  I'm viewing this as a must do.
  • Byron Glacier
  • Portage Glacier--I don't know if either of these are a must, after all the other things we'll have seen. 
  •  Williwaw Fish Platform--Might be interesting, even though we will have already watched fish.  This is close to Portage and Byron Glaciers 
  • Begich Boggs Visitor Center
  •  Bird Point--heard this was fun for kids.  Maybe good views? 
  •  Winner Creek Hand Tram--Although this sounds cool and I know some of my family would like it, I'm not sure if we all would...and would we be able to fit one parent with two kids?  Edited to add:  I have done a little more research and watched a few videos.  I'm not sure that this would actually work with my family of 5, since I doubt the kids would actually help at all, and I don't know if I am strong enough to cart two of us across...and would Chretien have to go twice to get two of the kids across?  I've moved this to the end of my list, and think I might just let it go.  We'll see.  Maybe sticking to Alyeska Tram might be better for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment