So there I sat, the second week in September, with a draft of an itinerary just itching to see the light of day. I was doing a search for flights and lo and behold, I stumbled across a set of flights which met my criteria of:
1. Being below $500 per ticket
2. Be available as a reward flight so I could use some miles
3. Flights over the weekend to maximize our time
Other things that I hoped for, and saw with these tickets, included:
4. Decent time of day/arrival--> I had thought we'd arrive late afternoon or early evening, but we arrive in Anchorage around 12:45 PM. That will give us the option to do a little sight-seeing the first day, if we aren't too tired from our early morning flight. Our connecting flight is pretty short. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there is nothing to mess up that connection.
5. Red eye for the return--> This is what I expected and this is what we got. I think it'll be nice to have a full last day before we head home.
I consulted with Cretien and he told me to go ahead and book the tickets!
Unfortunately for us, I only had enough miles to get one ticket paid for. I debated waiting another few weeks until the next credit card cycle posted enough miles to get two tickets, but I was concerned that these very good tickets would no longer be available. I figure, we'll have more miles for another trip down the road.
It almost seemed surreal...We were going to Alaska!!
Granted, the trip was about 10 months away, but who cares?
Alaska in 2017!!